Choose from our array of quilts or commission something special!

contact us at
amykronish@gmail.com
hoffmanal4@gmail.com

Thursday, January 24, 2013

In Memory of my Mother

Everything I know about sewing, I learned from my mother.  We had an old Singer sewing machine in the basement, near a ping pong table which was piled high with stuff, and she sat there patiently doing her sewing.  We spent a lot of time there together, especially when I was in junior high school.

I have been trying to think of a theme that would bring me warm memories -- and I came up with this quilt which features birds, seen through a series of latticed windows. 



 Even though it is January,  spring is coming (symbolized by Tu B'shvat) and the days are slowly getting longer.  Every year in the springtime, I remember standing by the dining room window with my Mom, watching for robin redbreasts -- the first sign of spring in the northeast!  We had a casement window, with a screen that had a small box that could slide, so that you could get to the handle of the window which opened outwards.  So, I have a very definite picture of our peeping through little windows, watching for the robins.  Here you can see the birds, framed with a latticed affect, and a peacock fabric (I can just imagine the robins "strutting" around on our front lawn), and bordered by bright yellow sunshine and blue sky!  This quilt measures 40 X 50".


2 comments:

  1. This is amazing art work. You've got it so right! It evokes our Mommy! Yes, I too remember Mommy's eager searching for the return of the robins in early Spring. And how she involved her girls in the search. And how we looked out the casement windows, which you've captured so well in your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you have the same memory! It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete